Just finished watching Fat Head (watch for free below, via Hulu).
A few takeaways:
- The food pyramids are based on a congressional committee, not scientific research.
- Eating according to the food pyramid (low fat, high grains) will kill you.
- Whole grain bread will cause your blood sugar to spike more than eating raw sugar.
- Eating a lot of grains will increase your insulin resistance making you fat and giving you diabetes.
- Cancer rates have increased after stuff that was supposed to replace saturated fat (e.g. margarine, canola oil, etc. became a part of our diets).
- Eating high fat goods is good for you.
- Skim milk could be making kids dumb in school.
- School buses and long days at school are making kids fat, not McDonalds.
- Chain fast food restaurants are targeted because they can be sued for money.
- There is no indication that high cholesterol is related to heart disease.
- Obesity death statistics included all deaths of obese people (not just deaths caused by obesity).
- Scientists that challenge the current recommendations lose their research funding.
2 thoughts on “Fat Head”
I like your summary–now I don’t have to go back and watch the movie again!
nice take away. i am interested in checking it out. i recommend u watching Food Inc., especially now that u r married w/ child.